Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Use "allowlist" and "denylist" tree-wide

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:28:30 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 13 2022, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
>
>> The terms "allowlist" and "denylist" are self-defining. One "allows" things
>> while the other "denies" things.
>
> I've got a preference for things that can be found in widely available
> dictionaries, these words seem to be tech neologisms.

FWIW, I share the same.  I suspect that "whitelist" may be found in
more dictionaries than "allowlist".

e.g.

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/allowlist
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whitelist

A statement "We have audience who are not native English speakers,
and may not share cultural background" may not be incorrect at all,
but that does not justify s/whitelist/allowlist/.  We end up with
sentences written with non-words that these non-natives cannot even
look up in dictionary.

If we can rephrase without using these invented words, we should do
so, especially when the result becomes even easier to read than the
original that used "whitelist".  I've shown a few examples in my
other messages in this thread.

Thanks.