Subject: win+VS environment has "cut" but not "paste"?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 23:38:51 -0800

GitHub CI seems to fail due to lack of "paste" for win+VS job.  This
was somewhat unexpected, as our test scripts seem to make liberal
use of "cut" that goes together with it.

    https://github.com/git/git/runs/5415486631?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:6199

The particular failure at the URL comes from the use of "paste" in
5ea4f3a5 (name-rev: use generation numbers if available,
2022-02-28), but it hardly is the first use of the command.  There
is one use of it in t/aggregate-results.sh in 'master/main' already.

We could rewrite the tests that use "paste" but looking at the use
of the tool in the test (and the aggregate thing), rewriting them
due to lack of a tool, whose source should be freely available from
where "cut" was taken from, does not sound like too attractive a
direction to go in, but I do not know how much work is involved in
adding it (and in general, any basic tool with similar complexity
that we may find missing in the future) to the win+VS environment.

Thoughts?

Thanks.