Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] ci: make Git's GitHub workflow output much more helpful

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 18:59:11 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> FWIW, CI run on "seen" uses this series.

Another "early impression".  I had to open this one today,

    https://github.com/git/git/runs/5367854000?check_suite_focus=true

which was a jarring experience.  It correctly painted the fourth
circle "Run ci/run-build-and-tests.sh" in red with X in it, and
after waiting for a while (which I already said that I do not mind
at all), showed a bunch of line, and then auto-scrolled down to the
end of that section.

It _looked_ like that it was now ready for me to interact with it,
so I started to scroll up to the beginning of that section, but I
had to stare at blank space for several minutes before lines are
shown to occupy that space.  During the repainting, unlike the
initial delay-wait that lets me know that it is not ready by showing
the spinning circle, there was no indication that it wants me to
wait until it fills the blank space with lines.  Not very pleasant.

I do not think it is so bad to say that it is less pleasant than
opening the large "print test failures" section and looking for "not
ok", which was what the original CI UI we had before this series.
But at least with the old one, once the UI becomes ready for me to
interact with, I didn't have to wait for (for the lack of better
phrase) such UI hiccups.  Responses to looking for the next instance
of "not ok" was predictable.

Thanks.