Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 05/11] i18n: tag.c factorize i18n strings

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:16:40 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does it really matter? I.e. we've got plenty of options parsing code in
> various places that might complain about issues A and B with your
> command-line, but will only emit one of those at a time.
> ...
> But until such an improvement something as trivial as minimizing the
> diff size (i.e. not needing "if" -> "else if") seems preferrable to
> slavishly maintaining compatibility with the exact sequence of errors
> we'd emit before.

The patch is already touching every other line.  Making the change
into a replacement of solid block into another solid block would
probably make the resulting patch easier to read.

And by doing so, the submitter demonstrates to reviewers that they
_care_, as such an attention to detail is a sign that the submitter
thought the ramifications of changing an early die() into an
assignment that keeps going.

So, yes, it does matter.