Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] C99 support: remove non-HAVE_VARIADIC_MACROS code

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:58:22 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Remove code that depend on HAVE_VARIADIC_MACROS not being set. Since
> 765dc168882 (git-compat-util: always enable variadic macros,
> 2021-01-28) we've unconditionally defined it to be true, and that
> change went out with v2.31.0. This should have given packagers enough
> time to discover whether variadic macros were an issue.

It hasn't even been a month since we did v2.31.0.  Since it was not
even a maintenance release for security update, I have no reason to
expect packagers to be all that prompt to react.  And because we
gave them an escape hatch, they may have used it to update their
distro packages and haven't had a chance to tell us about it yet.

So, the above does not sound like a credible excuse to make our
future work necessary to react to "our toolchain is not ready yet"
complaints bigger.  At least not yet.

Please do not add patches that you know are unnecessary right now to
the pile of patches that needs to consume reviewer bandwidth.

Thanks.