Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 00/21] Sparse Index: Design, Format, Tests

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 14:49:08 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

>> We have a similar setting in index.version; I believe we always
>> auto-demote 3 down to 2 when extended flags are not used, and
>> I think "always auto-demote" would be sufficient (iow,
>> "use-even-unneeded" may not be necessary, even though that might
>> help debugging).
>
> Yes, the same is happening here: we auto-demote to not use 'sdir'
> if it the other settings are not configured as well.
>
> There is the rare scenario where these things all occur:
> ...
> This seems like a rare occurrence. Is it still worth adding logic
> to avoid 'sdir' when these are all true?

You'd be the primary one who will be debugging the system while and
after this goes through the stabilization effort, so whichever you
find is more convenient is good enough for us, I guess.

Thanks.