Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/16] midx: implement a multi-pack reverse index

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 14:30:13 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:04:31PM -0500, Taylor Blau wrote:
>
>> Here is another reroll of my series to implement a reverse index in
>> preparation for multi-pack reachability bitmaps. The previous version
>> was based on 'ds/chunked-file-api', but that topic has since been merged
>> to 'master'. This series is now built directly on top of 'master'.
>
> I gave the whole thing another careful read. Most of what I found were
> small nits, but enough that I think one more re-roll is worth it.

Thanks.

> The biggest question is what we want to happen next. As you note, the
> concept of a midx .rev file is useless until we have the matching
> .bitmap file. So we _could_ let this sit in next while the dependent
> bitmap topic is reviewed, and then merge them down together. But I'm
> inclined to treat this as an independent topic that can get merged to
> master on its own, since the early cleanups are valuable on their own,
> and the .rev parts at the end, even if dead, won't hurt anything.

It was my impression as well that the early clean-ups are worth on
their own.