Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-remote: load config whenever create_symref() might be called

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 13:52:17 -0800

Jérémie Detrey <[email-masked]> writes:

> Currently, the calls to `create_symref()` do not honor the
> `core.logAllRefUpdates` nor the `user.{name,email}` configuration
> settings, and therefore write reflogs even when explicitly asked not
> to, and ignore the configured user identity.
>
> This happens on `git remote add --fetch`, `git remote set-head`, and
> `git remote rename`: these are the three commands which may create
> a symbolic-ref for the remote's HEAD.

Good problem description.

The usual way we structure the program start-up is do things in the
following order:

 - have the hard-coded built-in default in the form of file-scope
   static variable definition with initial values; remote.c::value
   is an example that by default we are not verbose unless anybody
   else (below) says otherwise.

 - call git_config() to read and set configured defaults, which
   would override the hard-coded built-in default values.

 - call parse_options(), or other use some other means, to parse the
   command line options to further override the values that may have
   been set by reading the configuration files.

My gut feeling says that the best place to call git_config() on
git_default_config would actually be in cmd_remote(), immediately
before we call parse_options() to parse the main options shared by
all subcommands of "git remote".  Is there a reason why codepaths
other than the three you singled out should *not* be affected by the
basic set of configuration variables?

Thanks.