Subject: Re: [PoC PATCH 00/34] An alternative modified path Bloom filters implementation

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 10:08:37 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:50:04AM +0200, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
>> Sigh...  but better late than never, right?
>
> Yes, indeed. I think that there is a balance here: I'm thrilled that you
> are choosing to spend your time working on and improving the
> changed-path Bloom filter implementation.
>
> Of course, it couldn't have hurt to have these ideas earlier when the
> list was more focused on reviewing Garima's original patches. But,
> nothing is set in stone, and it seems like there are some re-usable
> ideas and clean-ups below.

Yes, I had the same impression as you did, unlike some folks who
sounded as if they felt offended seeing a comment that sabotages
existing work.  It could have been presented in a more useful ways
(i.e. instead of risking to appear suggesting total replacement,
which I do not think was the intention, massaged to build on top of
what is already there as improvements), though.

> I think you're right to draw the "laying the ground work" line here.
> Could these first fourteen patches be applied cleanly to master? They
> all look mostly like improvements to me, especially the second patch.

Again, I concur.

Thanks.