Subject: Re: [PATCH] send-email: Defines smtpPassCmd config option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 08:50:48 -0700

Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +of `sendemail.smtpPassCmd`), then a password is obtained using
>> +'git-credential'.
>
> this last part on git credential is just undocumented, since it is already
> doing so since 4d31a44a08 (git-send-email: use git credential to obtain
> password, 2013-02-12)
>  
> and of course, assuming you use a credential helper that keeps the password
> encrypted you could use that instead of this new feature.

Up to this point I understand your response.

Documenting that "git send-email" can use "git credential" for its
password store, if it is not already documented, is of course a good
change.

But I am not sure why this is "a good alternative".  Having more
choices that do not offer anything substantially different is a bad
thing.  Is this "new mechanism" better in what way?  Simpler to use?
Faster?  Less error prone?  Something else?

Thanks.

> having said that, this looks like a good alternative, but might need to
> make sure if die makes sense below or would be better to see if you can
> still get a password through git credential even if that fails.
>
> maybe the rule of what to do might even need some configuration itself.
>
> Carlo