Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 5/5] sequencer: directly call pick_commits() from complete_action()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:39:53 +0900

Alban Gruin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio, how do you want me to fix that?  Should I reroll the series
> altogether, send a "fixup!" commit, or send a standalone patch?

Normally a topic that is not yet in 'next' or more stable tracks can
and should be rerolled (or in a rare case like changing just a
single typo on a line in the last patch in a series, can be
corrected with a "fixup!" squashed in); once the topic is in 'next'
or more stable integration branch, there needs a normal freestanding
patch that may say "earlier we did X, which is broken for such and
such reasons.  correct it this way."

But during a pre-release feature freeze period, the rules can be a
bit different ;-) Typically a topic that is not in 'master' that is
not a bugfix will never graduate from 'next' until the release
happens, and after the release, the tip of 'next' gets rebuilt from
the newly cut release, at which point a topic that wants a fresh
start (in order to avoid "oops, this was wrong, and here is a fix"
follow-up patch) can be granted one.

So I'd probably just send a "fixup!"to be queued on top of the
series to fix a leak in 'next' for now, remind the maintainer not to
merge it to 'master' before the release, and once the upcoming
release is made, send another reminder to the maintainer to squash
the "fixup!" in before rebuilding 'next', if I owned this series.

Thanks.