Subject: Re: [PATCH] documentation: add tutorial for revision walking

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:25:14 -0700

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'll also be mailing an RFC patchset In-Reply-To this message; the RFC
> patchset should not be merged to Git, as I intend to host it in my own
> mirror as an example. I hosted a similar example for the
> MyFirstContribution tutorial; it's visible at
> https://github.com/nasamuffin/git/tree/psuh. There might be a better
> place to host these so I don't "own" them but I'm not sure what it is;
> keeping them as a live branch somewhere struck me as an okay way to keep
> them from getting stale.

Yes, writing the initial version is one thing, but keeping it alive
is more work and more important.  As the underlying API changes over
time, it will become necessary to update the sample implementation,
but for a newbie who wants to learn by building "walken" on top of
the then-current codebase and API, it would not be so helpful to
show "these 7 patches were for older codebase, and the tip 2 are
incremental updates to adjust to the newer API", so the maintenance
of these sample patches may need different paradigm than the norm
for our main codebase that values incremental polishing.