Subject: Re: [GSoC] acknowledging mistakes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 11:51:46 +0900

Rohit Ashiwal <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Commit message was less than 50 chars which should be around 72 chars
>    according to coding guide lines. Should I change this to match 72?

Simple things do not need that many letters to tell ;-)  The
suggestion of 72 is about the maximum.  

If you are doing something in a single patch that needs a longer
title, it generally is a sign that you are trying to do too much in
a single patch and should be splitting the patch into more
digestable smaller steps.  And the purpose of having a maximum is to
nudge patch authors to realize that.

> 2. My changes had some uneven use of tabs and spaces, which I made
>    considering that pre-existing code had them too. Is there a
>    possibility to change the whole code according to CodingGuidelines?
>    If yes should I only change my code according to guidelines or the
>    whole file?

I think you are talking about t3600, which uses an ancient style.
If this were a real project, then the preferred order would be

 - A preliminary patch (or a series of patches) that modernizes
   existing tests in t3600.  Just style updates and adding or
   removing nothing else.

 - Update test that use "test -f" and friends to use the helpers in
   t3600.

> 3. There is no helper function for `test -s` but Rafael suggested we can
>    make use of other helper functions to provide similar functionality,
>    if we can.

If we often see if a path is an non-empty file in our tests (not
limited to t3600), then it may make sense to add a new helper
test_path_is_non_empty_file in t/test-lib-functions.sh next to where
test_path_is_file and friends are defined.

Thanks.

[jch: I am still mostly offline til the next week, but I had a
chance to sit in front of my mailbox long enough, so...]