Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Let the builtin rebase call the git am command directly

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:06:03 -0800

"Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> Especially on Windows, where Unix shell scripting is a foreign endeavor, and
> an expensive one at that, we really want to avoid running through the Bash.
>
> This not only makes everything faster, but also more robust, as the Bash we
> use on Windows relies on a derivative of the Cygwin runtime, which in turn
> has to jump through a couple of hoops that are sometimes a little too tricky
> to make things work. Read: the less we rely on Unix shell scripting, the
> more likely Windows users will be able to enjoy our software.
>
> Changes since v1:
>
>  * Rebased on top of master to avoid merge conflicts.

I do not appreciate this very much.  

We already have a good resolution prepared when merging this to
either 'next' or 'master', which also resolves conflict with the
other topic that requires this topic to add "--topo-order" in its
call.  Rebasing series means invalidating the previous work recorded
in rerere.

	side note. The rerere database entry can be recovered from
	master..pu with contrib/rerere-train.sh).

>  * Adjusted the commit message talking about double entries, to clarify that
>    it talks about HEAD's reflog.

Good.

>  * Replaced a misleading action parameter "checkout" for the reset_head() 
>    function by the empty string: we do not check out here, we just update
>    the refs, and certainly do not want any checkout functionality (such as
>    hooks) to be involved.

OK.

>  * Reused a just-prepared refs_only variable instead of repeating the value
>    assigned to it.

OK.

>  * Fixed a stale comment about the shell variable "$upstream" (which should
>    have been negated to begin with).
>  * Fixed error messages when files could not be opened.

Good.

Will take a look.  Thanks.