Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/6] push tests: correct quoting in interpolated string

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 14:20:57 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> The quoted -m'msg' option is passed as a string to another function,
> where due to interpolation it'll end up meaning the same as if we did
> just did -m'msg' here.

"as if we did just did"?  Also the sentence says -m'msg' is treated
as if we gave -m'msg' that is tautology.  Perhaps

	... as if we just did -mmsg here.

is what you meant?

But I think the pointing out I did in the old thread is wrong.  If
you change your "-mtag.message" to "-m'tag  message'" (notice that
I have two spaces between the words) and then insert an invocation
of "git show -s testTag" immediately after "git tag" is run to
create testTag with $tag_args in test_force_push_tag, I can
observe in "cd t && sh t5516-fetch-push.sh -v" output that
the single quote is taking effect just fine.  IOW, I do not see
anything wrong in the original "-m'msg'", which probably anticipated
that we may want to change it to -m'tag message' or something to
clarify.

However,...

> diff --git a/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh b/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
> index 539c25aada..69f7c9bfe6 100755
> --- a/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
> +++ b/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
> @@ -1009,7 +1009,7 @@ test_force_push_tag () {
>  }
>  
>  test_force_push_tag "lightweight tag" "-f"
> -test_force_push_tag "annotated tag" "-f -a -m'msg'"
> +test_force_push_tag "annotated tag" "-f -a -mtag.message"

Comparing test_force_push_tag and test_force_fetch_tag which is
added in the next step, I notice that the former ignores $1 so
passing "annotated tag" here has no effect.  That may be worth
fixing in a follow-up patch like this.