Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] Introduce BUG_ON(cond, msg) MACRO

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 10:38:07 +0900

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> FWIW I think we've done fine at using assert so far.  But if I
> understand correctly, the point of this series is to stop having to
> worry about it.

I recalled that there was at least one, and "log -Sassert" piped to
"less" that looks for "/^[ ^I]*assert\(" caught me one recent one.

    08414938 ("mailinfo.c: move side-effects outside of assert", 2016-12-19)

Even though I do not personally mind

	assert(flags & EXPECTED_BIT);
	assert(remaining_doshes == 0);

left as a reminder primarily for coders, we can do just as well do
so with

	if (remaining_doshes != 0)
		BUG("the gostak did not distim all doshes???");

So I am fine if we want to move to reduce the use of assert()s or
get rid of them.  I personally prefer (like Peff, if I am not
mistaken) an explicit use of the usual control structure, as it is
easy to follow.  BUG_ON() would become another thing readers need to
get used to, if we were to use it, and my gut feeling is that it may
not be worth it.

A few more random things related to this topic that comes to my
mind:

 - If we had a good set of tools to tell us if an expression is free
   of side-effects, then assert(<expression>) would be less
   problematic---we could mechanically check if an assert() that is
   left as a reminder for coders/readers is safe.

 - Even if we had such a check, using the check only on new changes
   when a patch is accepted is not good enough.  An assert(distim())
   may have been safe back when it was added because distim() used
   to be free of side-effects, but a later update to it may add side
   effects to it.

 - The issue that is caused by "this function used to be pure but
   lately it gained side-effects" is not limited to assert().  Using
   it in "if (condition) BUG(...)" or "BUG_ON(condition,...)" will
   not sidestep the fact that such a change will alter behaviour of
   callers of the function.  It's just that assert(condition) is
   conditionally compiled, which makes the issue a worse one.