Subject: Re: Submodule regression in 2.14?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:45:55 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> As long as we are talking about idealized future world (well, at
>> least an idea of somebody's "ideal", not necessarily shared by
>> everybody), I wonder if there is even any need to have commits in
>> submodules in such a world.  To realize such a "monorepo" world, you
>> might be better off allowing a gitlink in the superproject to
>> directly point at a tree object in a submodule repository (making
>> them physically a single repository is an optional implementation
>> detail I choose to ignore in this discussion).
>
> Then the sharing between superprojects (e.g. send an Android's linux
> patch upstream or to another distro that also uses a superproject),
> becomes cumbersome as the commit messages are missing and
> potentially not specific to that subtree.

Indeed.  That is a problem "git commit --recurse-submodules" has.
Socratic method seem to have worked well to convince you that it is
not necessarily a good idea to make submodules "just like a tree".