Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jun 2017, #06; Thu, 22)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 17:27:30 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> * ab/sha1dc (2017-06-07) 2 commits
>>> ...
>>>  Will keep in 'pu'.
>>>  Impact to the various build and release infrastructure of using
>>>  submodule is not yet fully known, but this lets us dip our toes.
>> ...
>> But it's been 1 month kicking around in pu now. What are we gaining from
>> keeping it there even longer at this point?
>
> I am sort of waiting for a success from Windows box at Travis.  It
> hasn't passed for other reasons for a while, though.

https://travis-ci.org/git/git/jobs/246371006#L480 shows that on
Linux, we are taking the code from the submodule and the compilation
is happy.

https://travis-ci.org/git/git/jobs/246371008#L25 shows that we do
init and update the submodule but it does not appear that neither
the bundled sha1dc/ nor the submodule gets used on MacOS.  Probably
we are using the hash from the platform?

https://travis-ci.org/git/git/jobs/246371011#L724 shows that the
bundled sha1dc/ is used on Windows, not from the submodule, for
whatever reason.  I trust what Dscho does for Windows platform well
enough that I do not feel unconfortable for not knowing why the
build there triggered by Travis does not use the submodule one.
Whatever configuration he chooses would be the best for the
platform.

So the only nit I may have is that we may possibly want to turn this
on in .travis.yml on MacOS before we move it forward (otherwise we'd
be shipping bundled one and submodule one without doing any build on
that platform)?  Other than that, the topic seems ready to be merged
down.

Thanks.