Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] fix passing a name for config from submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 07:59:46 -0700

Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Apparently we put the subject first and then the date. I always did it
>> the other way
>> round, to there is no strict coding guide line,...

Please don't say "this is not spelled out in the guidelines, so I
can do whatever I like, *EVEN* *THOUGH* I know that is different
from what most others do".

Without the "follow the best-current-practice and be consistent",
which I think is in an early part of the guideline document (and if
not, it should be spelled out as the most important rule), the
guidelines document will become too long that nobody would read.

>> understanding for a) how long are we in the "broken" state already as well as
>> b) what was the rationale for introducing it.
>
> Ah ok did not know about this format. Will change that.

In other words,

    In commit 959b5455 we implemented the initial version of ...

would become something like:

    959b5455 (submodule: implement a config API for lookup of
    .gitmodules values, 2015-08-17) implemented the initial version
    of ...

Thanks.