Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] format-patch: avoid freopen()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:49:09 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> But there's a rub... If you specify --color *explicitly*, use_color is set
> to GIT_COLOR_ALWAYS and the file indeed contains ANSI sequences (i.e. my
> analysis above left out the command-line part).

Heh, the command-line is the _ONLY_ thing I raised, as we knew
ui.color is not an issue in this codepath, in $gmane/297757.

Going back to that and reading again, I suggested to check with
GIT_COLOR_AUTO (i.e. if it is left to "auto", disable it) because I
think the former is a much more future-proof way (imagine that we
may add --color=<some new setting> in the future) than checking with
GIT_COLOR_ALWAYS (i.e. if it is not explicitly set to "always",
disable it).

> In short, I think you're right, I have to guard the assignment, with the
> minor adjustment to test use_color != GIT_COLOR_ALWAYS.

So I am not sure if you said "use_color != GIT_COLOR_ALWAYS" only to
be different from what I suggested (you seem to have a tendency to
do so whenever you can), or there was some other reason.