Subject: Re: [PATCH] pull: add angle brackets to usage string

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:18:19 -0700

Alex Henrie <[email-masked]> writes:

> I pushed to change [options] to [<options>] because even if the angle
> brackets don't help new users or translators in this particular case,
> the angle brackets encourage Git authors to use angle brackets when
> writing commands that are not so easy to understand. If you think that
> [<option>...] is better because it is even more consistent, I would be
> happy to send a patch to make that change.

I do agree that [<option>...] would make things consistent between
options and non-option arguments.  But I also would expect that
reasonably intelligent readers know that options are special, and
they would understand that [options] and [<options>] mean the same
thing as [<option>...] anyway, so I do not feel too strongly either
way myself (meaning: I wouldn't be motivated to prepare patches for
it myself, I wouldn't jump up and down saying they are wrong and
revert them if such patches were applied by an interim maintainer
while I am on vacation, and I would apply such patches myself only
if they do not overly interfere with topics in flight while
merging).

Thanks.