Subject: [poll] does anybody depend on RelNotes being a symbolic link?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:23:55 -0800

I am wondering if I can turn the top-level RelNotes symbolic link
into a regular file.

The benefit for doing that is that I can start the file like so:

    Git ???? Release Notes
    ======================

    Updates since v2.3

early in the cycle and then later decide if we want to make the next
one 3.0 or 2.4.  And then just after the release, I move it down to
Documentation/RelNotes/3.0.0.txt (or 2.4.0.txt) and start the next
cycle.

One thing that worries me is that people and their build scripts
might depend on being able to figure out the upcoming release name
by reading the symbolic link, assuming that the link would point to
Documentation/RelNotes/x.y.z.txt, and such a change ends up breaking
their setup.  I am not sure how likely this would be.  Objections?

Also any other objections, other possible cause of breakages I may
have missed?