Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/2] git-config support for diff.relative setting

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 10:16:08 -0800

[email-masked] writes:

> By default, git-diff shows changes and pathnames relative to the
> repository root.
> Setting diff.relative to "true" shows pathnames relative to the
> current directory
> and excludes changes outside this directory.

The above does not tell any lie, but it is mostly a description of
what "--relative" does.  I think the main point of this change is
that by configuring a variable "diff.relative" (and forget about it)
you do not have to keep saying "--relative" from the command line,
so that is how you should "sell" this change to others, I think.

> ---

No signoff?

>  Documentation/diff-config.txt |  5 +++++
>  diff.c                        |  8 ++++++++
>  t/t4045-diff-relative.sh      | 21 +++++++++++++++++++++
>  3 files changed, 34 insertions(+)
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/diff-config.txt b/Documentation/diff-config.txt
> index b001779..496e9b0 100644
> --- a/Documentation/diff-config.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/diff-config.txt
> @@ -103,6 +103,11 @@ diff.orderfile::
>      one shell glob pattern per line.
>      Can be overridden by the '-O' option to linkgit:git-diff[1].

Whitespace damaged patch?  HTs are all gone.  Please practice first
by sending your patches to yourself, and then try to "git am" them
by saving the e-mail messages you received from yourself.

"git grep -i thunder Documentation" seem to tell me that there are
hints on using Thunderbird in SubmittingPatches and format-patch
documentation.

I might have said this already, but I think this change, without
support for "--no-relative", would be an incomplete one that can
break the end-user experience, and it would be better to swap the
order of the patches.

Thanks.