Subject: Re: [PATCH] submodule: Fix documentation of update subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 11:02:42 -0800

Michal Sojka <[email-masked]> writes:

> The documentation says that submodule.$name.update can be overridden by
> --checkout only if its value is `none`. This is not true, because both
> implementation and documentation of --checkout specifies that the
> override applies to all possible values.
>
> Signed-off-by: Michal Sojka <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/git-submodule.txt | 2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> diff --git a/Documentation/git-submodule.txt b/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
> index 8e6af65..84ab577 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-submodule.txt
> @@ -158,7 +158,7 @@ update::
>  	checkout the commit specified in the index of the containing repository.
>  	This will make the submodules HEAD be detached unless `--rebase` or
>  	`--merge` is specified or the key `submodule.$name.update` is set to
> -	`rebase`, `merge` or `none`. `none` can be overridden by specifying
> +	`rebase`, `merge` or `none`. This can be overridden by specifying
>  	`--checkout`. Setting the key `submodule.$name.update` to `!command`
>  	will cause `command` to be run. `command` can be any arbitrary shell
>  	command that takes a single argument, namely the sha1 to update to.

Thanks.  This looks sensible, judging only from the text (iow I
didn't check if there were legitimate reason why rebase/merge
settings should not be overriden from the command line).

Jens?