Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] mingw: stop using nedmalloc

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2026 11:56:19 +0900

"Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> The patches that remove the vendored sources have a slightly unusual shape:
> the Git mailing list rejects messages over 100kB and
> compat/nedmalloc/malloc.c.h alone is ~196kB of source, so the deletion of
> that file is split at section boundaries into three commits, each
> comfortably under the cap.

The history made strange only by the limitation of the tool (i.e.,
mailing list) we use is like the tail wagging the dog.  Could you
give a commit log message that describes droppage of everything done
in the "artificially stepwise only due to mailing list limitation,
but we wish we could do in a single step because the separation is
not logical at all" in the later steps, to the first of such steps
([2/6], I presume), and give each remaining patch a single liner "to
be squashed into [2/6]" log message, or something?  Then I can
squash them on my end.  Alternatively for this one only after we get
favourable reviews on the early two steps to drop the use of the
library, I can pull a single "discard everything" patch that builds
on these two from your repository.

Thanks.