Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] Fix two hook conversion regressions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2026 12:27:04 -0800

Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2026, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I agree with this.
>>>
>>> We can't let these two regressions enter a release, so we have two
>>> real chices:
>>>
>>> 1. Merge both fixes to 1.53 or
>>> 2. Revert the 'ar/run-command-hook' topic merge.
>>
>> Hmph, at this early point in the late release cycle before -rc1
>> (yes, rc0 is scheduled for this morning, but that is not really a
>> release candidate that counts as anything), it is tempting to take
>> #2, actually.  I just do not know how much damage such a revert
>> would cause to the tree.  I'll experiment after I finish cutting the
>> -rc0 preview release.
>
> I do not expect any conflicts and, if there any, they should be trivial.
>
> Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks.  I think I got

 - revert of ar/run-command-hook directly on top of 2.53-rc0, which
   would become the tip of 'master' tomorrow.

 - rebuild of ar/run-command-hook + two fix-up topics on top of it,
   called ar/run-command-hook-take-2

as the "take-2" topic is totally outside 'next', we can rebuild the
entire topic and get it right the first time, instead of
incrementally fixing them on top.