Subject: Re: [PATCH 05/10] t0301: another fix for Windows compatibility

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2025 00:15:07 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> In any case, a more productive than rethinking the "can we express
>> what mkdir -m <mode>, which is a construct in a simpler world, wants
>> to do in terms of a much more powerful permission system?" would be
>> to see if the test linter can be taught about this particular rule.
>
> Seeing that this issue had to be fixed twice within the course of over 4
> years, https://xkcd.com/1205/ applies.

It means that we are punting and are not proactively helping future
developers who may make the same mistake, but we expect it would be
rather rare so I am OK with us making that trade-off.  But then can
you dial back your condescending tone against those who are not as
familiar as glitches in the Windows port of POSIX shell environment
we use for tests?

Thanks.

>> It is easy to forget that there is a platform we care about whose
>> testing environment that emulates POSIX does not like "mkdir -m
>> 700", and it is a bit too much to burden developers to remember.