Subject: Re: Add git imap-get-recipients command

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2025 18:52:10 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Again, the description of the "tool" in the first paragraph was so
> sketchy that I cannot tell where you are gathering the To/Cc
> addresses from or if the tool is using only the named message, or
> considers messages sent as response to that named message, so it is
> impossible to give a meaningful response.  We cannot tell if the
> tool will be useful with given information.

I almost forgot to mention a few more things:

 - Perl dependency is something we seem to be avoiding these days.

 - Adding new things to contrib/ is also something we seem to be
   avoiding.

 - If it is only to help people to contribute to this project, I am
   not sure where in the hierarchy in my tree the tool should go.
   If it is to help people to contribute to any Git managed project,
   then it can be thrown into the same category as git-send-email,
   though.

 - Doesn't contributor side of b4 [*] do more or less what you want?
   If you find it lacking, it still may be a better idea to extend
   it instead of starting from scratch.

[Reference]

 * https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/latest/contributor/overview.html

   Admittedly I do not use the contributor side of the tool,
   although I often use it for maintainer's tasks.  b4 knows the
   threading, what set of messages in the thread represents the
   latest iteration, etc., so it should already know enough to find
   out things like "who reviewed the previous round" that would help
   solving your "whom should I Cc this new iteration of patches?"
   problem.