Subject: repo.eclipse.org outage breaking all our linux CI jobs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2025 15:13:58 -0700

As https://www.eclipsestatus.io/ reports there is no ETA for
recovery, and due to the failure of downloading JGit material in an
early stage of our CI jobs, our linux CI jobs are all failing, I am
very tempted to apply the following to 'maint' immediately and
propagate it all the way up to 'master', 'next', and 'seen'.

I would very very much appreciate additional thoughts and advices by
anybody more involved in JGit community and more clueful than I am
on the situation.

Anyway, what is somewhat funny is that at the end of this script,
there is an attempt to notice and report the lack of jgit (as well
as p4 and lfs) but still continuing:

	...
        if type jgit >/dev/null 2>&1
        then
                echo "$(tput setaf 6)JGit Version$(tput sgr0)"
                jgit version
        else
                echo >&2 "WARNING: JGit wasn't installed, see above for clues why"
        fi

        end_group "Install dependencies"

but because ci/lib.sh does "set -e", we fail way before we hit this
code.  I am tempted to suggest we remove that "set -e" as a long
term maintainability improvement measure, but that is a separate
topic.

 ci/install-dependencies.sh | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git c/ci/install-dependencies.sh w/ci/install-dependencies.sh
index be9ba5e30a..4dda5db7e5 100755
--- c/ci/install-dependencies.sh
+++ w/ci/install-dependencies.sh
@@ -74,8 +74,9 @@ ubuntu-*|i386/ubuntu-*|debian-*)
 			-C "$CUSTOM_PATH" --strip-components=1 "git-lfs-$LINUX_GIT_LFS_VERSION/git-lfs"
 		rm "git-lfs-linux-amd64-$LINUX_GIT_LFS_VERSION.tar.gz"
 
-		wget --quiet "$JGITWHENCE" --output-document="$CUSTOM_PATH/jgit"
-		chmod a+x "$CUSTOM_PATH/jgit"
+		wget --quiet "$JGITWHENCE" --output-document="$CUSTOM_PATH/jgit" &&
+		chmod a+x "$CUSTOM_PATH/jgit" ||
+		echo >&2 "JGit download failed, but we do not care and keep going"
 		;;
 	esac
 	;;