Subject: Re: [-SPAM-] Re: [PATCH v2 07/13] config.mak.uname: only set NO_REGEX on cygwin for v1.7

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 08:05:10 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2025 at 09:03:30PM +0100, Ramsay Jones wrote:
>> Heh, as I said in response to Junio, I have a patch that removes all
>> of the config in the conditional, so that we would no longer support
>> any 'pre-v2.x' versions of cygwin[*]. I think that would be an entirely
>> reasonable thing to do, particularly as cygwin thinks of itself as
>> a 'rolling release' type distribution. ;)
>> 
>> However, I don't think it is my place to make that kind of decision
>> and I was leaving that patch until last. Hopefully, Adam will make
>> that call. :)
>
> Makes sense, it's a bigger discussion indeed. I do think it would be
> reasonable to drop pre-2.0 Cygwin, and we have recently become a bit
> more aggressive in dropping support for ancient OS versions. But I'm
> totally fine with not doing it now.

Surely, and thanks.

If Adam declares that pre-2.0 is no longer relevant to us, I am fine
dropping support for it.  The fewer knobs to tweak we have, the
better.

I do not know what the best plan is for changes to update things
that supposedly help supporting pre-2.0 boxes, without us being able
to test, though.  I think I am OK with "this patchset I try to cover
everybody, but this and that systems are untested and untestable by
me" and I am also OK with "this patchset does not address this and
that systems at all, as there is no way to test them by me".

Thanks.