Subject: Re: [PATCH] docs: clarify meaning of core.commentString=auto

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2025 03:28:24 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think we'd want to start printing some advice when
> core.commentStr=auto explaining why it has been deprecated and that it
> will be removed when Git 3.0 is released. We should allow that advice
> to be suppressed setting advice.autoCommentStr (other name suggestions
> welcome). We would also want to add an item to BreakingChanges.adoc
> explaining why it is being removed and add "#ifndef
> WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES" around the code that handles
> core.commentStr=auto in builtin/commit.c and guard the documentation
> with "ifdef::with_breaking_changes[]".

All of these are good action items in a good transition plan, I
would say.

> We may want to make
> core.commentStr=auto an error when breaking changes are enabled as
> well.

I am not so sure.  As commentStr is a random string that is used to
prefix any comment line, "auto" is just a (albeit weird) string, so
not doing anything special would be good enough.