Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] connect: advertise OS version

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 11:47:29 -0800

Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2025 at 9:16 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> > Actually, in this patch series, there is a config option called
>> > `osVersion.command`
>> > The specified command will be run and the output will be used as the
>> > value for `os-version`
>> > capability.
>>
>> That is essentially a "you can throw at us any arbitrary string".
>> So my recommendation would not change.  .format would not give us
>> much _additional_ value in such a case.
> Hi Junio,
>
> Thanks for this.  So, from what I understand, the feature and config
> option introduced by
> this patch series is enough, no need to introduce another .format
> config. Right ?

Yup.

At least until we and our userbase gain more experience with the
feature.

Thanks.