Subject: Re: [-SPAM-] [PATCH RFC v7 00/22] Modernize the build system

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2024 21:48:06 +0900

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Now there will be exceptions where it does make sense to make something
> a build option, due to whatever reason. But I'm in the camp of adding
> them as-needed and not proactively so that we don't end up with hundreds
> of options.

Surely, your system may have openssl installed, but for
non-technical reasons you may not want your Git to link with it,
which is impossible to auto-detect, of course.

To be quite honest, while I am very much sympathetic to the above,
in practice, I am afraid that these knobs we _already_ have in our
Makefile are exceptions that was added due to whatever reason "as
needed".  Dropping any of them would mean that you are declaring
this: by default, all the past exceptions we made are nullified and
you have to resubmit for requalification if you want to keep your
favourite one.

That's not a very nice way to run the project, though.

Thanks.