Subject: Re: [PATCH v12 1/8] t/t5505-remote: set default branch to main

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2024 13:52:46 +0900

Bence Ferdinandy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Consider the bare repository called "mirror" in the test.  Running `git
> remote add --mirror -f origin ../one` will not change HEAD, consequently
> if init.defaultBranch is not the same as what HEAD in the remote
> ("one"), HEAD in "mirror" will be pointing to a non-existent reference.
> Hence if "mirror" is used as a remote by yet another repository,
> ls-remote will not show HEAD. On the other hand, if init.defaultBranch
> happens to match HEAD in "one", then ls-remote will show HEAD.

Making sure that the hardcoded (in the Git binary) default branch
name would not affect the outcome of the test is a good thing to do.
I like the patch text, but ...

> Since the CI globally exports GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main,
> there's a drift between how the test repositories are set up in the CI
> and during local testing. This issue does not manifest currently, as the
> test does not do any remote HEAD manipulation where this would come up,
> but should such things be added, a locally passing test would break the
> CI vice-versa.

... this description may not quite be accurate.  Don't some jobs of
CI use 'main' while the rest use 'master'?