Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] worktree: link worktrees with relative paths

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2024 16:37:58 -0700

Caleb White <[email-masked]> writes:

>> existing repository", and another test that creates with the option
>> to use relative and uses the worktree/repository without the option
>> would simulate "how well existing versions of Git works when seeing
>> a worktree made with the newer git with the relative option".
>
> I can already tell you that this particular case is not going to work
> because existing versions of git expect the path to be absolute. Most
> of the changes in this patch revolve around properly reading/handling
> the relative paths, not writing the relative paths.

If we are talking about making irreversible change to an existing
repository, we may need to grab one extensions bit (cf.
Documentation/technical/repository-version.txt and then refer also
to Documentation/config/extensions.txt [*]) and flip it when we
wrote a relative link to refer to an worktree and repository.

[Footnote]

 * The repository-version document claims that any extensions
   invented must be registered there, but config/extensions.txt that
   came later ignored it and seems to have acquired a few more than
   the "master list".  We should clean up the mess.