Subject: Re: FR: Provide Out-Of-Tree Building; Provide Cross-Compile Parameters

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 08:53:29 -0700

Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]> writes:

>> ...  And "cross compilation" is
>> one of the things that is so obvious "isn't it nice if we had..."
>> items.  At least the offer has to be a bit more, like "I'll help in
>> this and that area (e.g., organizing the effort, keeping track of
>> progress, researching dependencies, ...).  Any others who want to
>> join forces?"
>
> I thought in Git project, Makefile is the official build system, and
> the autotools build system is only an after-thought, no?

True.  In addition to autotools, there also is cmake "support" (only
meant to be used for Windows) in our tree, which us non-Windows
folks pretty much treat like how Makefile-only folks treat
autotools.

But even if they started as and still are after-thought, with enough
interest by other participant, there is nothing forbidding a
contributor to organize an effort to improve them.  The only
constraint from our side is not to butcher the main build system too
badly to make Makefile-only build less pleasant to work with and
harder to maintain.

Thanks.