Subject: Re: [PATCH] sparse-checkout: be consistent with end of options markers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 09:18:14 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 24, 2023 at 01:00:11AM +0000, Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget wrote:
>
>> Remove the erroneous PARSE_OPT_KEEP_UNKNOWN_OPT flag now to fix this
>> bug.  Note that this does mean that anyone who might have been using
>> [...]
>
> Thanks for wrapping this up in patch form. It looks good to me,
> including the reasoning. You didn't add any tests, but I find it rather
> unlikely that we'd later regress here.

Surely.  I am certainly OK with just dropping KEEP_UNKNOWN but I
would strongly prefer to document what we "fixed" (your "misspelt
option name" example) and what (mis|ab)use the people may have been
relying on we have "broken" (the same "misspelt" behaviour that can
be intentional is now forbidden, and we document that this change in
behaviour is intentional) with a new test.

Thanks.