Subject: Re: [PATCH] typo: fix the typo 'neeed' into 'needed' in the comment under merge-ort.c

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:06:54 -0700

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 20/10/2023 09:14, 王常新 wrote:
>> It is my official name. But the email address is not a valid one. Should I rewrite the commit message?
>> 
>
> Please don't top-post, reply inline with appropriate context instead.
>
> Did you mean that you can't receive ML traffic on your @qq.com address?
> If so, resend with your @gmail.com address as patch author (you need
> to set user.name and user.email accordingly). 

Isn't that opposite from what we would normally recommend, though?

If the true authorship e-mail is in an environment where sending
patches are inconvenient, you would still want to do your commits
under the identity you want to appear in the final history of the
project, so you do not futz with user.name and user.email; you'd
send a message with in-body header that shows an extra From: line
(followed by a blank line) that records the true authorship from an
environment whose sender e-mail address may differ.

E.g.  You would see these fields in the e-mail heeader:

	From: 王常新 <[email-masked]>
	Subject: [PATCH] merge-ort.c: comment typofix

and your message would begin like so (indented only for illustration
purposes---the real one should be flushed to the left edge of the
page):

	From: 王常新 <[email-masked]>

	There is 'needed' misspelt as 'neeed' in the source file;
	fix it.

	Signed-off-by: 王常新 <[email-masked]>

This feature is designed so that other people, different from the
author of the patch, can relay it to the recipient(s) while
preserving the authorship information.

Although it is not needed in this case, you can override "Subject:"
the same way with an in-body header, like so:

	From: 王常新 <[email-masked]>
	Subject: real title of the patch to be used

	There is 'needed' misspelt as 'neeed' in the source file;
	fix it.

	Signed-off-by: 王常新 <[email-masked]>

and it would replace what we read from the Subject: e-mail header.