Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: remove mentions of .gitmodules !command syntax

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:54:12 -0700

Petar Vutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Perhaps the term "configuration variable" in
>
> "The following update procedures are only available via the
> submodule.<name>.update configuration variable:"
>
> is more specific and technical than immediately obvious - I would have
> expected the contents of .gitmodules to be a form of (repository)
> configuration. But that is just bikeshedding.

Not necessarily.  It is always good to learn how "normal people"
(read: those other than who develop and write documentation for Git)
would react to and understand what we write in the manual pages, as
that is the only way we can find what is confusing, ambiguous and
can be improved.

Perhaps

    "... available via the ... configuration variable, and cannot be
    used in the .gitmodules file"

would have helped you?

Thanks.