Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] diff-merges: more features

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:51:04 +0900

Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> 2. log.diffMerges-m-imply-p
>
> Historically, '-m' doesn't imply '-p' whereas similar '-c' and '--cc'
> options do. Simply fixing this inconsistency by unconditional
> modification of '-m' semantics appeared to be a bad idea, as it broke
> some legacy scripts/aliases. This patch rather provides configuration
> variable to tweak '-m' behavior accordingly.

I do not know how this can be a good idea.  For those users who set
the configuration variables, those scripts and aliases get broken
anyway, don't they?  IOW, I am not sure how this is better than the
"modification of '-m'" that is "a bad idea".  I would understand why
it may be a safer and more sensible solution, if the proposed
approach were to find an unused letter $X and to introduce "-$X"
that is the same as "-m" but implies "-p", though.

> 3. log.diffMergesForce
>
> Force specific log format for -c, --cc, and --remerge-diff options
> instead of their respective formats. The override is useful when some
> external tool hard-codes diff for merges format option.

Not convinced it is a good idea for the same reason as above (not
convinced it is a bad idea, either, though).

> 4. Support list of values for --diff-merges
>
> This allows for shorter --diff-merges=on,hide forms.

Good, probably.