Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 4/5] pack-bitmap.c: retrieve missing i18n translations

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:07:26 -0700

Teng Long <[email-masked]> writes:

> Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 4/5] pack-bitmap.c: retrieve missing i18n translations

The verb "retrieve" is puzzling.

> In pack-bitmap.c, some printed texts are translated,some are not.

"," -> ", ".

> Let's support the translations of the bitmap related output.

>  	if (bitmap_size < 0) {
> -		error("Failed to load bitmap index (corrupted?)");
> +		error(_("Failed to load bitmap index (corrupted?)"));

If we were to do this, to avoid burdening translators with double
work, we probably would want to fix the "C" locale version of the
string, either as a preliminary clean-up before this step, or as
part of this step.  From Documentation/CodingGuidelines:

        Error Messages

         - Do not end error messages with a full stop.

         - Do not capitalize the first word, only because it is the first word
           in the message ("unable to open %s", not "Unable to open %s").  But
           "SHA-3 not supported" is fine, because the reason the first word is
           capitalized is not because it is at the beginning of the sentence,
           but because the word would be spelled in capital letters even when
           it appeared in the middle of the sentence.

         - Say what the error is first ("cannot open %s", not "%s: cannot open")