Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Nov 2021, #02; Wed, 3)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 12:15:00 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 1:17 AM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Here are the topics that have been cooking in my tree.  Commits
>> prefixed with '+' are in 'next' (being in 'next' is a sign that a
>> topic is stable enough to be used and are candidate to be in a
>> future release).
> ..
>> * hn/reftable (2021-10-08) 19 commits
>>  - Add "test-tool dump-reftable" command.
>>..
>
> As this topic has no interaction with any other code in Git, leaving
> it cooking in 'seen' for longer doesn't provide any extra test
> assurances.

Yeah, as long as it does not break how well the existing file-based
ref backend works, it would be OK, because even if we later find a
big bug in the reftable code, nobody would get hurt by the code we
currently have in 'seen'.

> Is there something stopping this topic from graduating to next, and if so what?

Post release rebuilding of 'next', I would say, at this late point
in the cycle.  If those who are tired of waiting can start reviewing
each other's topics and work on improving them in the meantime, it
would help us to use our time better during the next cycle, I would
guess.

Thanks.