Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] pull, fetch: fix segfault in --set-upstream option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:40:33 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Testing the new behaviour is a good idea.  I also agree with you
>> that die() would be more appropriate and does not risk regression,
>> if the original behaviour was to segfault.
>
> Indeed. I changed it due to your upthread
> <[email-masked]>.
>
> I think doing s/warning/die/ here makes sense, but similarly to the
> above comment: Let's punt on that and do it separately from this
> narrow segfault fix. If and when we change that we should change
> various other "warning()" around this codepath to "die()" as well.

I do not think that can be thrown into the same bin as "should UI
give irrelevant details?" issue.  If you make it not to segfault and
give just a warning(), it becomes impossible to make it die() later.

If we all agree that die() is a better action, that must be done
now, or it will become never once the change is released to the
field.