Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2021, #08; Mon, 23)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:03:31 -0700

"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>* jc/trivial-threeway-binary-merge (2021-07-28) 1 commit
>> - ll-merge: teach ll_binary_merge() a trivial three-way merge
>>
>> The built-in merge driver for binary files learned to resolve
>> trivial three-way merges (e.g. apply change, which turns A into B,
>> to content A) by itself, which would help "git apply --3way" used
>> when there is no need to use "--3way".
>>
>> Will discard.
>> Replace with a trivial-merge logic in apply.c::try_treeway() or
>> apply.c::three_way_merge().
>>
> This patch seems to have missed several merge cycles, hope it can go to next stage as soon as possible.

The posted patch that is queued will not go to any stage as-is.  The
basic idea in it may be sound but it needs to happen at a different
layer, but no such updated patch exists and I never had time to do
so myself.