Subject: Re: Git show only showing ASCII chars problem

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:37:00 -0700

Daniel Santos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you for filling out a Git bug report!
> Please answer the following questions to help us understand your issue.
>
> What did you do before the bug happened? (Steps to reproduce your issue)
> git show

Thanks for a report, but sorry, it is *not* "steps to reproduce your
issue", as people who do not have the commit you have trouble with
checked out would not see your issue reproduced by typing "git
show".  Something like this:

    $ mkdir newdir; cd newdir; git init
    $ echo 'ç ã õ' >file; git add file
    $ git commit -m "add file with non-ascii contents"
    $ git show

may be detailed enough for people to try reproducing what I see
(i.e. creation of a single-line file is shown with its non-ascii
contents).

By the way, if the problem is that your pathnames in the patch are
protected from corruption by quoting, perhaps

    $ git config --global core.quotepath false

may be what you are looking for.  I couldn't tell from your report
if that is the case, though.

Thanks.