Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] Allow isatty to be overriden with GIT_FORCE_TTY

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 11:41:36 -0700

Avishay Matayev <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > If you don't find the approach in this patch good enough, what exactly
>> > do you suggest?
>>
>> Start with not tying this feature with the word "TTY", probably.
> Well then, what are other indicators of 'interactivity' besides "TTY"?

If we want to force output to always go through the pager, we should
call it "force pager", not "force tty".  If we want to always show
progress bar no matter where the output goes, we should call it
"force progress", not "force tty".  These should be controllable
independenty, even though it is OK to have catch all "force
everything" for convenience.

There is no inherent reason why the output has to be passed through
the pager when it goes to tty.  It merely is how we happen to have
designed the heuristics.  We don't want to carve it in stone and
expose it on end-users with a poorly chosen name.  Also, we do not
want to tie multiple features unnecessarily.