Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/4] t: new helper test_line_count_cmd

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 15:17:11 +0900

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since you've dropped the `--out` and `--err` options entirely, I
> wonder if now would be a good time to shorten the function name, as
> well, in order to further reduce the noise level. Since it now only
> tests stdout (and doesn't deal with stderr), a name even shorter than
> what I tried for the last version might be even better. So, for
> instance, the name test_out_count() might not be too bad:
>
>     test_out_count = 0 git ls-files -o &&

"Test out" to me sound like trying something out and the part "out"
in the name no longer hints it is about "output"; you may have
shortened the name too much to be meaningful, I am afraid.

Is the helper used to check with anything but equality?  Otherwise
you can lose "= " to make it shorter.

Having said all that, as an external interface, I wonder

	test_line_count -e = 0 git-ls-files -o

would work better.  It usually takes <op> <num> <file>, but when
$1 is a magic "-e", we shift it out and it becomes <op> <num> <cmd>...