Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-send-email: add option to specify sendmail command

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 06:21:31 +0900

Gregory Anders <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, 13 May 2021 12:58 +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>In short, it is far from sufficient to just "$concatenate @variables"
>>to form a single string.  $sendmail_cmd should be left as-is (after
>>all, we do want the shell to split it at $IFS whitespace into tokens),
>>but each element of @sendmail_parameters should be protected from
>>the shell (both word splitting and $interpolation rules).  Perhaps
>>something along the lines of this instead?
>>
>>    exec ("sh", "-c", "$sendmail_cmd \"\$\@\"", "-", @sendmail_parameters);
>
> Does this pose a problem for platforms such as Windows that don't have
> a 'sh' (not sure if there are any others)? Is git-send-email meant to 
> support Windows?

Seeing what run-command.c::prepare_shell_cmd() does under
GIT_WINDOWS_NATIVE (or on other platforms), I doubt the construct
would be a problem.  Our Windows experts would certainly chime in
if it is.

Thanks.