Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] gitweb: redacted e-mail addresses feature.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 15:35:17 -0700

"Georgios Kontaxis" <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's not clear if you think it's overkill because we have to depend on an
> external module or because we don't need accurate parsing.

It is neither; what we need to parse is not exactly 'e-mail
addresses' as known to Mail::Address.

The thing is, unlike send-email that needs to interact with the
real-world MTAs and e-mail addresses, the codepaths we are talking
about are mostly about author/committer ident, where the definition
is quite narrower than the Mail::Address's "has to cover all the
possible ways to spell e-mail addresses under the sun" requirement.

Having said all that ...

> If we prefer accurate parsing but don't like depending on Mail::Address,
> it's easy to write complete expressions ourselves. (In a separate,
> internal, Perl module)

... I do not have strong opinions either way.  I won't have the
final say on the way things are done in Perl and what is done to
Gitweb.

It was just that what I saw earlier with the offsets and manual
parsing instead of s///g operator did not smell not like a Perl
program to me, and the message you are responding to was my reaction
to it.

Thanks.