Subject: Re: [PATCH] SKIP_DASHED_BUILT_INS: respect `config.mak`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:59:36 -0800

"Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
>
> When `SKIP_DASHED_BUILT_INS` is specified in `config.mak`, the dashed
> form of the built-ins was still generated.
>
> By moving the `SKIP_DASHED_BUILT_INS` handling after `config.mak` was
> read, this can be avoided.
>
> Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> ---

OK.  So the problem is that the moved block that sets ALL_PROGRAMS,
ALL_COMMANDS_TO_INSTALL, etc. depends on $(SKIP_DASHED_BUILT_INS),
and that happens before we "include config.mak".

That makes sense.  Will apply (I do not know if you want this also
on the maint tracks and if so which ones---I think it would matter
if you want to cut a maint release from 2.29.x or 2.30.x tracks).

By the way, I wonder if we can (semi-)automate looking for such a
mistake in the future.  Does a simple rule like:

    No variable that has "Define X if you want to distim the doshes"
    at the beginning of the Makefile must be referenced before we
    include config.mak

work?

Thanks.